Sunday May 16, 2010

Hello everyone, hope you all had a nice week.  It was chilly and rainy last week and it made for unfavourable conditions for taking pictures outside, so I did the best I could with what I had in the house and also from previously taken pictures.

My assignment this week was working with post processing software, which I am a huge fan of.  Every single picture I take is always processed in some way, some more than others.  I love to take an ordinary picture and turn it into something fabulous.  I did this a couple of weeks ago with my cat Oliver (April 17, 2010).  The original was pretty ugly in my opinion, it was just my cat sitting on the stairs, but with the right processing software and some time and patience and Voila!

In the assignment description it was to have me making layers of my photos and then “cutting and separating” the foreground from the background so that I could process them separately and then put them back together instead of processing the image as a whole.  When splitting the image into layers it would allow me to change the background darker while I make the foreground (focal point) brighter and crisper.  I have good software and I did try to figure out how to do this, unfortunately I was unsuccessful.  I had a few really good pictures from the zoo that this technique would have worked well with but I lost those pictures last year when my computer crashed.  I guess I’ll have to make a trip back to the zoo.

So on to the pictures from the week.  First we have french lilacs, I used the spot removal tool on this to remove some of the brown spots that made the leaves look dirty, I also cropped, adjusted the exposure, definition and sharpness.  I always use those for flowers.

I think I actually missed a day this week, I’ll have to make up for that!

Then we have Molly.  This picture was taken a couple of months ago and I liked how she was posing but never did anything with it…until now.  I also like the negative space, although when I look at this picture I think maybe there is too much of it.

The next one is a granite statue that I purchased for my husband last year on Valentine’s Day, it weighs about 400 pounds.  I wanted to make a layer with this one so I could trim the statue out of the picture in order to make the  background darker, I know the layer part but I don’t know the trimming part yet.  I wanted the statue to be brighter but when I adjust the exposure it also made the background lighter which is what I didn’t want because you could see other details that I didn’t want in the image.

Next is the handsome young man, that’s one of my little guys, he went on his first sleepover this weekend and I was missing him so I made him my picture of the day.

And lastly we have the lily of the valley flowers.  I liked both of these pictures but I couldn’t decide which one to use, so I used them both.  I asked my husband which one he liked and he preferred the colour one where as I preferred the black and white one.  The only logical thing to do was to put them both up and put it to a vote, I had an overwhelming response for the colour one.  They are different pictures and each of them evokes a different feeling.  The winner is the colour one (seen above).

I don’t know yet what this weeks assignment is, I’ll worry about that Monday morning.

I hope you all have a fabulous week, the weather looks like it’s going to be nice so get out there and enjoy it!!

Until next Sunday…

~Linda

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s